Vishay Introduces Proximity and Ambient Light Sensor with Long-Distance Proximity Detection to 1 MeterOctober 27, 2016
The Optoelectronics group of Vishay Intertechnology, Inc. recently introduced VCNL4100, a high-sensitivity proximity and ambient light sensor with long-distance proximity detection up to 1 m.
VCNL4100 integrates analog to digital converting circuits, amplifiers, and photodiodes into a single chip using a CMOS process. The 16-bit high-resolution Ambient Light Sensor (ALS) allows exceptional sensing capabilities with a varied range of functionalities compatible with most applications.
Housing the Filtron™ technology in a compact 8 mm X 3 mm X 1.8 mm surface-mount package, Vishay's VCNL4100 packs in a high-power IR emitter, photodetectors for proximity and ambient light, signal processing IC, and an 8-bit / 16-bit ADC.
The ambient light and proximity sensors of VCNL4100 integrate programmable interrupt function with high and low thresholds, enabling the sensors to wake up an application from low-power mode, thus lessening the overall power consumption. The device's integrated Filtron technology facilitates ambient light spectral sensitivity alike human eye while offering outstanding background light cancellation capabilities.
Driving a five-fold jump in proximity detection technology over previous-generation devices, the VCNL4100 provides presence detection for lighting control in smart offices, corridors, smart buildings, and factories, as well as vehicle occupancy detection in parking lots.
Technical specifications, key features, functionalities, and application areas of Vishay's VCNL4100 are categorically summed up below.
Salient Features of VCNL4100 :
- Low power consumption I2C (SMBus compatible) interface
- FiltronTM technology for robust background light cancellation
- Operates Ambient light sensor (ALS) and Proximity Sensor (PS) in parallel structure
- Leverages the low transmittance (dark) lens design
- Temperature compensation: -40 °C to +85 °C
- Floor life: 168 h, MSL 3, according to J-STD-020
- Output type: I2C bus (ALS / PS)
- Operation voltage: 2.5 V to 3.6 V
- Dimensions (L x W x H in mm): 8.0 x 3.0 x 1.8
- Integrated modules: Ambient light sensor (ALS), an infrared emitter (IRED), proximity sensor (PS), and signal conditioning IC.
- Package type: surface mount
Proximity Functionalities of Vishay's VCNL4100
- Immunity to red glow (940 nm IRED)
- Intelligent background light removal
- Smart and enduring design to help reduce proximity sensor (PS) response time
- Facilitates proximity distance up to 1 m
Ambient Light Functionalities of VCNL4100
- Integrates fluorescent light flicker immunity
- Spectrum almost resembles real human eye responses
- Provides a variety of selectable maximum detection range (655 / 1311 / 2621 / 5243 lux) with highest sensitivity of 0.01 lux/step.
Primary Application Areas of Vishay's VCNL4100
- Presence detection to activate displays in home appliances, printers, and copiers
- Proximity sensing and lighting control in offices, buildings, and public infrastructures
- Collision detection in toys and robotics
- Detection of vehicle occupancy in parking lots
- Proximity detection in lavatory appliances
VCNL4100 is RoHS-compliant and halogen-free. Integrated into a lead (Pb) free 10-pin molded package, the 'Vishay Green' device delivers supply voltage of 2.5 V to 3.6 V, and I²C bus voltage ranging from 1.8 V to 3.6 V.
Samples and production quantities of VCNL4100 are now available with standard lead times of eight to twelve weeks for bulk orders. For more information on this product, please contact the WPGA team.