VCNL4035X01 Optical Sensor: Packing Greater Detection Efficiency & Design Flexibility into Gesture ApplicationsNovember 27, 2017
In part 2 of the Vishay Super 12 series, we discuss the VCNL4035X01 — a fully integrated automotive grade proximity and ambient light sensor with superior gesture recognition capabilities.
The VCNL4035X01 is an optical sensor that combines a signal conditioning IC, photodetectors for proximity and ambient light, a 16-bit ADC, and a driver for up to three external IREDs in a compact form factor of 4 mm X 2.36 mm X 0.75 mm surface-mount package — perfect for low height requirements of smartphones, tablets, digital cameras, and PC. With the capability of adding one or up to three emitters to the sensor, the device makes the usage and designing of a proximity sensor in consumer and industrial applications much simpler.
Key Features of Vishay Semiconductor’s VCNL4035X01
The VCNL4035X01, featuring a programmable interrupt function, includes high sensitivity that permits object detection up to a distance of 500 mm. This can greatly minimize accidental touch input that can cause call drops and camera launch. The device comes with Vishay’s Filtron™ Technology, which enables superb background light cancellation capabilities while facilitating ambient light spectral sensitivity, almost resembling the human eye.
A quick glance at the key features of the new VCNL4035X01:
- Package type: surface-mount
- Dimensions (L x W x H in mm): 4.0 x 2.36 x 0.75
- AEC-Q101 qualified
- Integrated modules: ambient light sensor (ALS), proximity sensor (PS), and signal conditioning ICL
- Operates ALS and PS in parallel structure
- Filtron™ Technology adoption for robust background light cancellation
- Temperature compensation: -40 °C to +105 °C
- Low power consumption I2C (SMBus compatible) interface
- Output type: I2C bus (ALS / PS)
- Operation voltage: 2.5 V to 3.6 V
- Floor life: 168 h, MSL 3, according to J-STD-020
Central Functionalities of VCNL4035X01
The high-caliber VCNL4035X01 sensor offers outstanding temperature compensation, fluorescent light flicker immunity, and a high accuracy of ± 10 %. Other prominent functions of the new device include –
• Immunity to red glow (≥ 890 nm IREDs)
• Programmable IRED sink current
• Intelligent cancellation to reduce cross talk phenomenon
• Smart persistence scheme to reduce PS response time
• Selectable for 12- / 16- bit PS output data
Ambient Light Functions
• High accuracy of ALS ± 10 %
• Fluorescent light flicker immunity
• Spectrum close to real human eye responses
• Selectable maximum detection range (262 / 524 / 1048 / 2096 / 4192) lux with highest sensitivity 0.004 lux/step
Major Applications of the New VCNL4035X01
The AEC-Q101 qualified VCNL4035X01 supports I²C bus communication interface for smart home, industrial, and automotive applications. The entire circuitry required to execute these applications is included in a PCB space-saving compact device with external emitters for enhanced design flexibility. Prime applications of Vishay's VCNL4035X01 are as follows:
- Automotive applications
- Handheld devices such as smartphone, tablet, digital camera
- Consumer devices such as notebook, PC
- Industrial applications
The VCNL4035X01, offered in a lead (Pb)-free 8-pin QFN package, features built-in ambient light photodiode that offers object detection from 0.004 lx to 4.2 klx. The proximity sensor applies intelligent cancellation to remove cross-talk, while its smart persistence design ensures quick response time when an object is detected. Vishay Semiconductor’s VCNL4035X01 is lead (Pb) free, RoHS-compliant and halogen-free, and is categorized under the “Vishay Green” products. Samples and production quantities of the new device are now available in the market with lead times of eight to twelve weeks for bulk orders. Please refer to the Material Categorization Policy for details on material categorization and definitions of compliance.
For more information about Vishay's sensor portfolio, including digital and analog sensors for application areas like smart home, wearables, automotive and more, Download the Flyer now!