MP3431: A High-Efficiency Boost Converter with Programmable Input Current Limit by Monolithic Power SystemsAugust 9, 2017
Monolithic Power Systems, Inc., an integrated power solutions company headquartered in San Jose, California, offers the MP3431 — a 600kHz, fixed-frequency, highly integrated, boost converter.
The MP3431 features a wide input voltage range, which starts from a low input of 2.7V, supporting up to 30W of load power from a 1-cell battery with integrated low RDS(ON) power MOSFETs.
The device integrates the state-of-the-art constant-off-time (COT) control topology for a fast transient response, along with other cutting-edge features like over-temperature protection (OTP) and programmable input under-voltage lockout (UVLO).
Key Features of MPS MP3431
The low-side MOSFET of the device checks the cycle-by-cycle inductor peak current, while the high-side MOSFET completely eliminates the need for an external Schottky diode. The programmable input current limit of MP3431 ensures reliable overload protection.
Notable features include:
- 2.7V to 13V Start-Up Voltage
- 0.8V to 13V Operation Voltage
- Up to 16V Output Voltage
- Supports 30W Average Power Load and 40W Peak Power Load from 3.3V
- Programmable Input Current Limit
- 21.5A Internal Switch Current Limit
- Integrated 6.5mΩ and 10mΩ Power MOSFET
- >95% Efficiency for 3.6V VIN to 9V/3A
- Selectable PSM, >23kHz USM, and FCCM in Light-Load Condition
- 600kHz Fixed Switching Frequency
- Adaptive COT for Fast Transient Response
- External Soft Start and Compensation Pins
- Programmable UVLO and Hysteresis
- 150°C Over-Temperature Protection (OTP)
- Available in a QFN-13 (3mmx4mm) Package
Applications of MPS MP3431
The incorporated MODE function presents the opportunity to select various mode operations like forced continuous conduction mode (FCCM), pulse-skip mode (PSM), and ultrasonic mode (USM) in light-load condition. This leverages superb flexibility in a range of applications including:
- Bluetooth Speakers
- Portable POS Systems
- Quick Charger Power Banks
Monolithic Power Systems continuously strives to improve its processes, products, and services through the application of Total Quality System Management (TQSM) principles, which ensure the development of products with world class quality and reliability.
The MP3431, featuring in a QFN-13 (3mm x 4mm) package, is lead-free, halogen-free, and RoHS compliant. The industry-leading device is also MPS Green. Please visit the MPS website under Quality Assurance to learn more about the MPS green status.
For more information on MP3431 and for product queries, contact WPGA Director of Power Solutions Rob Gray.