Artesyn’s New iHP Series Powers Naval Sonar SystemAugust 6, 2017
Undersea defense systems are usually fitted to submarines, unmanned naval systems, and surface ships to secure strategic assets from underwater threats. A leading contractor and integrator of sonar, acoustic, and communication systems required additional power for the RF amplifiers in their advanced naval sonar system. That’s where Artesyn's iHP series helps to meet military-grade requirements.
Artesyn's iHP series — a configurable, high-power AC-DC power system providing 400 Vdc at 112 amps — delivers high accuracy and exceptional reliability with up to 24 kW in 3kW increments. Perfect for not only sub-sea applications but also medical, horticultural, and industrial applications, the series can be configured with up to 8 outputs, using a variety of plug-in modules that address a wide range of voltages and currents.
Key Features of Artesyn’s New iHP Series
The iHP power module offers a low total harmonic distortion (THD) and efficient power factor correction (PFC) over a broad range of loads. Other prominent features of the power system include -
- Multi-output intelligent and modular high power system
- Standard 19” rack
- Outputs parallel up to 1600 A
- Outputs series up to 1000 V
- 100% digital control
- Outputs program as voltage or current source
- Versatile input configurable to - Low line 180-264 Vac single phase and 3-phase • High line 342-528 Vac 3-phase
- Medical safety approved – NO ISOLATION XFMR NEEDED
- Flexible control interfaces
- Air cooled
- Semi F47 compliance
- Field upgradeable firmware
- Programmable slew rate
- Fast current slew rate up to 200 Hz
- Active power factor correction
- User defined command profiles
Applications of Artesyn’s New iHP Series
Artesyn’s iHP series can be programmed to three distinct compensation configurations that include resistive load, capacitive load, and LED load. The different configurations can be applied for specific load and application types including:
- Medical - The iHP series completely eliminates the need for an isolation transformer. The power system’s multi-output modular architecture supplies all system power in a single unit.
- LED Lighting / Horticulture - Artesyn’s iHP series, with LED load compensation, opens up new opportunities for horticulture farms that require high voltage for LED strings. Bulk high voltage current sources bring down installation and operating costs by eliminating the requirement for individual LED array drivers.
- Chemical Processing / Water Treatment - The compact size and multi-rack paralleling of the iHP series facilitate large installations in the Megawatt range.
- Lab Power - The high-grade power modules provide accurate control of current and voltage sources with integrated wireless communication to remote control panel.
Safety Approvals for Artesyn’s New iHP Series
Artesyn’s iHP Series has obtained all security approvals required for medical and industrial applications, which include -
- UL 60950-1 2nd Edition; EN60950-1; IEC60950-1/EN60950
- CSA C22.2 No. 60950-1-07, 2nd Edition
- EN60601-1; IEC60601-1; IEC60601
- UL 60601-1 1st Edition; ANSI/AAMI ES60601-1 (2005 + C1:09 + A2:10) 3rd Ed
- CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60601-1 (2008)
- CB Certificate and Report
- CE (LVD+RoHS), EN60950-1
The iHP power system offers designers either an analog or a digital interface that supports all leading communication protocols like Ethernet, CANbus, and RS485. The digital control leverages Artesyn’s PowerPro software graphical user interface (GUI), which facilitates monitoring of functions on one or multiple iHP systems.
To learn more about Artesyn’s iHP Series and for product queries, please contact Director of Power Solutions Rob Gray.